Stories tagged "Edinburg": 25
Pearl White Theater
The Pearl White Theater opened on Main Street in Edinburg sometime in the 1920s showing silent movies for between 10 and 20 cents a show. Before it was completed, movies had been shown in the town hall. Electricity for this theater was provided by a…
This photograph shows part of the “Wagonner Shed” that was located along the Valley Turnpike (Route 11) in Edinburg Virginia. The shed would have been used by crews operating along the Turnpike in the 19th century. These crews were responsible…
Edinburg Observation Tower
After Pearl Harbor Americans feared that their communities could be targeted by the enemy, so a civil defense organization was created. Though officials realized the risk of attack was slight, they supported Civil Defense to help monitor military…
Edinburg Town Hall
In November of 1903 the Town Council of Edinburg Virginia signed a contract with John Clinedinst for building a new town hall. This structure constructed on land belonging to the local Masons. The first floor of Town Hall was built to accommodate…
William Reeser Liquor Store
In 1891 William H. Reeser was licensed to sell up to five gallons of spirits in Edinburg Virginia. These could not be consumed on site. The exact location of his business and where it operated is unknown.
William Dinges Ordinary
Court records from 1874 indicate William Dinges was granted a license to operate an ordinary and to sell spirits in Edinburg. The 1870 Gray's Atlas of the Town of Edinburg shows that his business was operating that year almost directly behind the…
In 1823 James N. Swann was issued a license to operate a tavern in what is now Edinburg Virginia. Later, this license was transferred to Isaac Rutter who retained the name Swanns Tavern. The exact location of this tavern is unknown.
In 1795 Jacob Shyrock was issued a license for a tavern in what is today Edinburg Virginia. It operated near Stoney Creek. This tavern was one of the community's original businesses and for a time the area was known as Shyrock.
JM Ludwig Bar Room
On April 13, 1894 the Shenandoah Herald reported JM Ludwig of Edinburg applied for a license to operate a bar room and to sell retail liquors. The location of this bar and when it operated is unknown.
Mary (Sallie) Murray Ordinary
According to the History of Edinburg, Mary (Sallie) Murray operated an ordinary in Edinburg. The date when this ordinary operated and where it was located is unknown.