J.H. Smurr Ordinary and Retail Liquor Store
On April 14, 1880, the Shenandoah Herald reported that J.H. Smurr had been granted a license to keep an ordinary and retail liquor store in Orkney Springs. Smurr continued his business through at least 1885 when he is listed on the Lake's Atlas of Shenandoah County. Most likely, he primarily served visitors at the Orkney Springs Hotel, which was located adjacent to his "saloon."