Calvary Methodist Church
Sometime around 1870 Mt. Jackson's African American population banded together to form what would become Calvary Methodist Church. By 1889 they had been able to construct their own church building and to support the local African American school which was built beside the church.
Little is known about this congregation except for they had a rocky start financially. In 1889 a chancery case was filed against the congregation for an unpaid mortgage.
However, the church recovered and thrived during the first half of the 20th century. In 1930 the Sanborn Map Company drawing of the church noted it had heat stove and electric lights.
In the later half of the 20th century Calvary's congregation had dwindled as the African American population of Mt. Jackson declined. In 1965 the congregation made the decision to merge with Manor Memorial Methodist Church in New Market and to close their church. The building would be demolished sometime in the 1970s or 1980s.