Mt. Jackson Virginia
A tour of historic sites in the town of Mt. Jackson.
The Town of Mt. Jackson began with an Act of Assembly on January 27, 1826. The state made the decision, over the objection of some locals, to name the village, formerly known as Mt. Pleasant, after Andrew Jackson.
Two Turnpikes, the Valley and Howard's Lick defined the town. The first, the major north south highway in the area, passed through the center of town and defined downtown. The latter originated in town and traveled to resorts in Orkney Springs and West Virginia. These two roads brought thousands of travelers to and through Mt. Jackson during the antebellum period.
In 1858 the railroad arrived. The terminus of the Manassas Gap Railroad reached the town before construction ended as a result of the Civil War.
During that conflict the Confederate States of America established a large hospital complex in Mt. Jackson.
Today the town's economy is a mix of tourism, agriculture, and industry. It contains a thriving downtown and commercial district.